Benefits of Ownership
- Democratic Governance - As an owner, you vote for the Board of Directors and changes to the co-op's bylaws. The co-op is accountable to you, the owner.
- Active Involvement - Co-op owners are welcome to get directly involved as committee members, board members or help out in-store as Hands-On Owners.
- Owner Discounts - The co-op extends a 10% discount to owners one day each month of their choosing. Special owner sales are offered weekly and monthly across the store. Dividends in the form of patronage rebates are distributed to owners when the co-op runs a financial surplus.
- Boosting the Local Economy - By becoming an owner of the co-op, you're supporting a business that follows sustainable business practices and purchases from other local businesses and farms.
Become an Owner
Whether you are just joining the co-op or are already an owner, there are two ways to purchase your equity.
At the store with cash or check.
- Online payment using PayPal as follows:
We encourage you to invest as much of the full $250 owner equity as you can now (or the $500 maximum investment if you are feeling particularly devoted to the success of Chicago's only cooperative grocery store!). And remember, the fewer installments, the fewer processing fees you'll have to pay! Thank you for being an essential part of this grassroots organization!
Online Subscriptions: We also have a number of options for ownership payment subscriptions. This is a great way to become a fully vested owner if you are unable to purchase the full $250 equity all at once. You many unsubscribe at any time (scroll down to the bottom of the subscription section).
5-month subscription for full ownership: You will be automatically billed for $50 (plus the $1.80 PayPal processing fee) per month for 5 months.
10-month subscription for full ownership: You will be automatically billed for $25 (plus the $1.05 PayPal processing fee) per month for 10 months.
Low-income minimum ownership subscription: Since we realize that parting with $50 at once might be a tall order for folks with limited means, we are also offering a 5-month subscription for the minimum annual ownership payment ($10.61/month - includes PayPal processing fee - for 5 months). However, we ask that you use this option only if you cannot afford to pay $50 or more up front. The Co-op urgently needs to raise membership funds to help with our expansion, so we cannot encourage you enough to invest as much of the full $250 ownership as you can as soon as you can. Thank you!