Author: Ashley Ritter
Total cost: $12
Cost per person: $2
Peas kick off the spring and summer just right with a burst of flavor and nutrients. The addition of pea shoots to this dish is great but not strictly necessary.
- 1 lb - orecchiette
- 1 tbsp - olive oil
- 2 cups - peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 clove - garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp - red chili flakes
- 1 cup - heavy cream
- 1/2 cup - chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups - pea shoots, loosely packed (optional)
- 2 tbsp - mint, chopped
- 1 tsp - salt
- 1 tsp - pepper
- finel grated - pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add orecchiette and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, top with a little olive oil and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peas, garlic and red chili flakes. Saute 1 minute.
- Add cream, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce until thickened, 8 to t10 minutes. If using frozen peas, add to the cream after reducing.
- Remove from heat and add the cooked orecchiette to the skillet. Stor to combine. Add the pea shoots, half the cheese and mint and stir again. Serve immediately with additional cheese for garnish.
creamy, seasonal, vegetarian, side dish, vegetablesBack to Recipes