Author: Ashley Ritter
Total cost: $5
Cost per person: $1.67
This dish was inspired by my Costa Rican family. My aunt used to make a version of this dish that was a favorite. I've updated the recipe a little bit and reduced the meat, but it's still completely delicious.
- 1 cup - ground turkey
- 4 cups - black eyed peas (canned or cooked dry)
- 1/2 cup - carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp - olive oil
- 1 bunch - cilantro, chopped, including stems, and divided into three equal parts
- 2 tsp - salt
- 2 tsp - pepper
- 1 lemon - juiced
- Brown the turkey in a large pot. You can brown an entire pound and store the rest frozen or refrigerated.
- Add olive oil, beans, carrots and first third cilantro. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add second third of cilantro, salt and pepper. Cooke 5 minutes
- Remove from heat. Add last of the cilantro and half the lemon juice.
- Serve with parsley and lemon slices as garnish.
dinner, nutritiousBack to Recipes