Author: Ashley Ritter
At the end of summer and the beginning of fall kale is abundant. This is a great way to add it into a hearty meat and rice dish.
Total Cost: $15
Cost per person: $3.75
- 1 1lb package - Jake's Pork Sausage Links or Tofurky Italian Sausage links, sliced
- 1 cup - Brown rice
- 1 medium - Yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup - Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp - Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup - Olive oil
- 2 tbsp - Cooking sherry or beer (optional)
- 2 cloves - Garlic, minced
- 1 pinch - Red chili flakes
- 1 small handful - Almonds, slivered (optional)
- Cook rice for approx 30 mins and set aside.
- Saute sausages with 1/2 of the onion and some olive oil. Let sausages cook through, add sherry or beer and allow to cook thoroughly, covered, for approx 15 mins, stirring periodically.
- In a large pan, saute kale and onion. Add a couple tbsp water to create steam. Then add vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and sherry. Salte to taste. Continue sauteeing with lid on for about 10 mins or until kale is tender.
- Plate with rice on bottom, then kale, sausage and slivered almonds on top.
fall, winter, warm, dinnerBack to Recipes