The Dill Pickle's Hands-On Owner (HOO) Program enables members to take an active role in the co-op’s operations, outreach, and governance through voluntary workshifts.
Why become a HOO?
- It's the best way to get to know the co-op you own, the folks who work there, and your fellow member-owners! Connect with your community and collaborate and engage with our expanding network of HOOs.
- Put your physical labor into something you own, run, and believe in. Be empowered as an active participant in your co-op.
- Support a community-run business and help keep the Pickle’s costs down by being an integral part of the store’s daily operations.
- Keep the Pickle mission-focused by joining a committee to help shape our policies and further our education and outreach efforts, or by working at community events.
- Enjoy an additional 15% shopping discount, effective the day of your workshift and extending for one week thereafter. (Certain items in the store are not eligible for this discount, including items already on sale and those the store keeps at a slim margin, like meat.)
The Dill Pickle will now hold regular Membership Orientations! All member-owners are welcome, new & old. Prospective HOOs are highly encouraged to attend an orientation prior to scheduling an in-store training shift. Experienced HOOs are invited to contribute to the program.
Content will hone in on who we are, what we do, how exactly we do it, and why it all matters. There'll be snacks, conversation, and co-op education. Come hang with your neighbors and help build our community!
Orientations take place at our shared office space at 3230 W. Fullerton. Check our calendar at the left for upcoming orientation dates.
All new HOOs (and any current HOOs who’d like a refresher) will spend a dedicated hour of their first shift walking through a comprehensive tour of the store with an overview of all departments, covering spaces, stocking, workflows, and floor priorities. For the remainder of that shift, tasks at hand will be completed under the loose direction of the shift lead, with plenty of time for questions.